What is Java?
Java is a programming language and a platform. Java is a high level, robust, object-oriented and secure programming language.
Java was developed by Sun Microsystems (which is now the subsidiary of Oracle) in the year 1995. James Gosling is known as the father of Java.
Top 5 reasons to start with java:
- It’s the most popular programming language
- Java is a solid core language
- Java is versatile
- It has a large community
- It has a big job market
To start writing program in java you will have to install Java Development Kit which known as JDK.
When installed successfully, then set Java Home Path.
To set java home path in windows OS:
- System properties > Advanced system settings > Environment variables
- Click on New button
- Set variable name as JAVA_HOME
- and Variable value field of installed JDK path as
- Click on Ok button
Now go to cmd and hit following command to check if java is installed.
> java -version
Then you can install any IDE for writing code like as Eclipse, NetBeans or IntellIJ. I will recommend you to install IntellIJ as this is used in professional sectors.